Jean Stevenson was baptised on June 26th 1778 in St Nicholas Parish, Aberdeen,
the daughter of Alexander Stevenson (or Stienson), wheelwright, and Jean Smith,
who married on May 20th 1771 also in St Nicholas.
Jean died on June 16th 1831 aged 53 and her grave is in St Peter's Churchyard.
The inscription on the family memorial is given below, as transcribed in 1980;
the condition of the stone has since deteriorated and parts of it are now
- The family memorial in St Peter's Churchyard
- Erected by Alexander and James Watkins, sons
- and George Martin, son-in-law
- In memory of their mother
- Jean Stevenson
- spouse of James Watkins, Plasterer, Abdn
- who died on the 16th June 1831 aged 53 yrs.
- Also two of her sons,
- Thomas, who died 29th April 1806 aged 6 months
- John, who died 3rd May 1818 aged 2 yrs.
- Also Helen Stevenson their Aunt
- who died on the 26th June 1841 aged 69 yrs.
- Of Mary Gray Watkins, spouse of Alexander Watkins, manufacturer in
- who died 31st March 1848 aged 32 yrs.
- Also of James, Thomas and Henry sons of the said Alexander
- Watkins, who died in infancy.
- Barbara Stevenson their Aunt wife of John Davidson, mason
- who died on 26th April 1855 aged 71 yrs
- James Watkins who died in Detroit Michigan on 19th August 1856
- aged 48 yrs
- Also of the said Alexander Watkins Manufacturer in Aberdeen who
- died 10th March 1873 aged 71 years